Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tutorial: Glittens--what eventually happened

So those glittens I was talking about... here's my pattern!


Deborah Norville Serenity sock yarn
US size 1 needles

m1: make a stitch by picking up the loop between the stitch you have just knitted and the next one, place it on the left hand needle and knit into the back of it

I used cable cast-on for fingers; knit cast-on for thumb/mitten flaps

LEFT HAND
Cast on 60 sts (on a size 5 needle) and join in round
Switch to size 1 needles
Rib 30 rounds
Stockinette 6 rounds

Thumb Gusset:
K27, place marker, m1, K1, m1, place marker, K32
K 2 rounds
K27, m1, K3, m1, K32
K 2 rounds
Continue increasing as such until there are 19 sts between the markers.
K 5 rounds (so the 2 that usually come after the increase rounds, plus three more)
K27, slip the next 19 sts on hold, K32 (59 sts)
K 15 rounds

Pinkie:
K7, slip all but the last 7 sts on hold, CO 3, K7 (17 sts)
K 11 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Upper Hand:
Rejoin yarn at base and pick up the 3 cast-on sts (48 sts)
K all sts on hold
K 5 rounds

Ring Finger:
K10, slip all but the last 6 sts on hold, CO 3, K6 (19 sts)
K 17 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Middle Finger:
Rejoin yarn at base and pick up the 3 cast-on sts
K7, slip all but the last 7 sts on hold, CO 3, K7 (20 sts)
K 23 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Pointer Finger:
Rejoin yarn at base and pick up the 3 cast-on sts
K all sts on hold (18 sts)
K 18 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Thumb:
Pick up 4 sts, knit sts on hold (23 sts)
K 10 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Mitten Flap:
Pick up 30 sts on back of glove, approximately 10 rows down from the base of the little finger (about where base knuckles of fingers will be). Do this by slipping a needle into the right side of each stitch, EXCEPT for the first and last stitch where I picked up both sides of the stitch. Work towards the thumb and knit all these sts, remembering to treat the first and last stitch as only 1 stitch each. Then cast on 34 sts and join into a round. (64 sts)
K30, K2P2 rib next 34 sts, for 6 rounds
K 26 rounds
k1, ssk, k24, k2tog, k1; k1, ssk, k28, k2tog, k1 (60 sts)
k1, ssk, k22, k2tog, k1; k1, ssk, k26, k2tog, k1 (56 sts)
Continue decreasing like this till you have completed:
k1, ssk, k2tog, k1; k1, ssk, k4, k2tog, k1 (12 sts)
k1, ssk, k1; k1, ssk, k2, k2tog, k1 (9 sts)
k3; k1, ssk, k2tog, k1 (7 sts)
k3; k1, ssk, k1 (6 sts)
Cut and pull yarn through remaining sts

Thumb Flap:
Pick up 12 sts on back of glove, approximately 8 rows down from the top of the thumb (same way as for mitten flap). Work towards the thumb and knit all these sts, remembering to treat the first and last stitch as only 1 stitch each. Then cast on 12 sts and join into a round. (24 sts)
K12, K1, K2P2 rib, end K1 for 6 rounds
K 15 rounds
k2tog all around (12 sts)
k2tog all around (6 sts)
k2tog all around (3 sts)
Cut and pull yarn through remaining sts.

Weave in ends.

RIGHT HAND
Same as left hand except for the following:

Thumb Gusset:
K32, place marker, m1, K1, m1, place marker, K27
K 2 rounds
K32, m1, K3, m1, K27
K 2 rounds
Continue increasing as such until there are 19 sts between the markers.
K 5 rounds (so the 2 that usually come after the increase rounds, plus three more)
K32, slip the next 19 sts on hold, K27 (59 sts)
K 15 rounds

Ring Finger:
K6, slip all but the last 10 sts on hold, CO 3, K10 (19 sts)
K 17 rounds
Cast off (with a size 5 needle)

Mitten Flap:
Work towards the pinkie.

Thumb Flap:
Work towards the pinkie.

Note: I would add maybe 5 more rounds to the mitten flaps before I started to decrease next time. Also, maybe knit a couple more rows at the end of the thumb gusset (it was a tight fit for me, and my hands are relatively small.)
 

12 comments:

  1. Do you use a size 5 needle throughout the glitten or just on the ribbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used the size 5 needle to cast on; everything else was knit on size 1 needles. Thank you for pointing out the ambiguity!

      Delete
  2. Deborah, do you use a 16" round #1 needle?

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I used a set of 5 dpns because that's all I had.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking at your glittens and thinking they are just what I'm looking for but, I need them to fit the large hands of my adult son and the yarn he's chosen is a worsted weight yarn. Can you help me figure out how to make the changes? Thank you. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I'd love to help! I made these gloves for myself and my hands are on the smaller side, so we'll need to make several adjustments. It would also be a big help if your son could try the glove on at certain points. First, what is the gauge you get with your yarn?

      Delete
  4. Loved the pattern, mine are now complete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is quite confusing for those who are first branching out into new patterns I have been knitting for several years but like things for example
    Place marker
    Or rejoin yarn at base or other nit picky things
    I am so confused by
    I mean I just have disabilities and trying to understand different things .. but thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm eager to try these as my first glittens! (I made some fingerless gloves & am ready to take the next step..) I'm planning to use some non-standard wool about which I have no information, but it's about 16 wpi and seems about the right weight for size 1 (US) needles. What gauge should I be aiming for? I have lots of other yarn I can use if this is not right. :) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this post. It was funny. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working on this now! I'm a graduate student and knit during my lectures and my classmates all love watching me knit these 😂 almost through with my left pointer finger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished my glittens; loved your pattern! Thank you for all the work you put into making it available to us at Ravelry.com. lindadeebaker@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete