Here's how I care for the African violet.
- Rotate a quarter-turn every two days
- Water from the bottom every four days (I basically let the pot sit in water for thirty minutes)
- Water from the top, carefully avoiding the leaves, every month or so
- When I'm not watering the plant, I fill the dish with water and set the pot on some rocks to increase the humidity around the plant. I used rocks that I had; gravel would probably work better.
And the cactus:
- Rotate a quarter-turn every two days.
- Water until the water drains from the bottom of the pot every twelve days.