Monday, January 12, 2015

Peanut Butter Honey Rice Krispies Treats

As the first weekend of the spring semester rolled around, the weather outside was frightful. Below freezing. No way I was going to leave the building unless I had to. Instead, I made food. Lots of food. I made some cookie truffles--Oreo, Nutter Butter and KitKat and Crunch and Peanut M&M and Whopper, Lorna Doone and banana and vanilla pudding--to empty the food cabinet a bit. My floor devoured them.

I also made peanut butter honey bars to have on hand for breakfast when my roommate is asleep. Except I ate a quarter of the pan when they were done, snacked on them, and had them for breakfast even though she wasn't here. That's how delicious they were. Fortunately, I have enough to last me the three mornings I get up earlier than her this week. Unfortunately, I don't have any for next week, and I'm not going to be here over the holiday weekend so I can't make more.

I found a bunch of variations on Pinterest and molded them into this recipe. The honey taste was too strong for me, though, so I'm going to try increasing the peanut butter-to-honey ratio next time (and trust me, there will be a next time!). Here are some other versions (note that they all have different ratios of peanut butter and honey):

What I did, but with Trader Joe's O's
Made with oats
Or how about with Raisin Bran?


Here's what I ended up doing.

PEANUT BUTTER HONEY RICE KRISPIES TREATS

Ingredients:
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup honey
4 cups Rice Krispies cereal (or 3 cups of any other cereal or oats)








Directions:

1. Line a pan with foil or parchment paper, or spray it with cooking spray.

2. Combine peanut butter and honey in a microwave-safe bowl. (I used a 1/4-cup measure because my 1/2-cup is in my tub of oats, which is why there are two blobs of peanut butter.)
3. Microwave peanut butter and honey on HIGH for 1 minute; stir well.

4. Add cereal and stir well.








6. Press into the lined pan.

7. Cool, then cut into bars.










I've been eating these straight from the freezer, and I love the consistency. However, I'm pretty sure our freezer is a little less cold than most. According to the other posts I've read, these can get a little gooey at room temperature, but try and see what works for you!

I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. Can you guess why? (Hint: I'm getting up earlier than my roomie.)


No comments:

Post a Comment